|The 7 Habits |
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
By Stephen R. Covey
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
by Sean Covey
“We first make our habits, then our habits make us.” -English Poet
Habit 1: Be Proactive
“Proactive people carry their own weather with them – whether it rains or shines makes no difference to them. Their honor is greater than their moods.”
Proactive or reactive… The choice is yours.
People who are proactive:
· Have a positive attitude.
· Are not easily offended.
· Take responsibility for their choices.
· Push pause! They think before they act.
· Bounce back when something bad happens.
· Always find a way to make it happen.
· Focus on things they can do something about, and don’t worry about things they can’t.
I’m not going to let your bad mood rub off on me!
I’ll do it! I choose to…
I can do better than that! Let’s look at our options.
Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
“We are more in need of a vision or destination, and less in need of a map. Leaders create their own destiny by following their internal compass. They make their life a mission, not just a career.”
People who begin with the end in mind:
· Set goals. (Write them down!)
· Continue to work on goals that have been achieved.
· Write a personal mission statement.
· Develop a clear picture of where you want to go with your life.
· Think about their future.
· Choose friends wisely.
· Care about their education.
· Uncover talents.
· Have positive role models.
· Turn weaknesses into strengths.
Habit 3: Put First Things First
“The key is not to prioritize your schedule but to schedule your priorities. Do the important things first – because where you are headed is more important than how fast you are going.”
Will-Power– The strength to say YES to your most important things.
Won’t Power– The strength to say NO to less important things and to peer
People who put first things first:
· Plan ahead and prioritize important and urgent things in their lives.
· Chooses not to procrastinate.
· Has discipline and self-control.
· Do not let FEAR make or influence decisions.
· Do not give into peer pressure.
· Identify your “Big Rocks,” or key things and people
· Make time for the “Big Rocks.”
· Follow a schedule, allowing for the big rocks first, then the pebbles.
Habit 4: Think Win-Win
“Win-win is a belief in the third alternative. It’s not your way or my way; it’s a better way, a higher way.”
People who think win-win:
· Believe everyone can win.
· Believe there is more than enough to go around for everyone.
· Believe when each person’s needs and interest need to be
· Believe it is possible to find a solution that benefits and considers everyone.
· Treat everyone the same.
· Thank people that have helped them succeed.
· Can be happy for others when they win or succeed.
Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
“The key to understanding is listening with the eyes and the heart.”
People who are great listeners:
· Listen with their eyes, heart, and ears.
· Hear what you are not saying, by
· Stand in someone else’s shoes, or use
· Mirror or repeat in their own words what the other person is saying and
Recognize the important keys to communicating include listening and speaking
Habit 6: Synergize
“There is synergy in the Aspen grove. The trees are connected by a system of roots: each tree draws strength from the others. The grove is more than the sum of its individual parts – one plus one equals three or more.”
People who synergize:
· Celebrate differences.
· Work as a team player.
· Have an open mind.
· Find new and better ways to reach common goals.
· Accept others.
· Stands against ignorance, cliques, and prejudices.
Getting to Synergy: Action Plan!
1. Define the problem or opportunity.
2. Their way (Seek first to understand the ideas of others.)
3. My way (Seek to be understood by sharing your ideas.)
4. Brainstorm (Create new options and ideas.)
5. High Way (Find the best solution.)
Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
“Renew and enhance the greatest asset you have – you.”
People who sharpen the saw take the care of:
The Physical Dimension– Exercise, eat healthy, sleep well, relax.
|Last Updated: 7/7/08|